Charles E. Gerard Archives
Charles E. Gerard, 1949-2005
Local historian, photographer, writer, and political activist, Charles E. Gerard was the only son of Ed and Mary (Timmons) Gerard. He was a graduate of Delphi Community High School in 1967 and of Indiana University where he majored in History and Economics. Somewhat of a renaissance man, Charles was fluent in both Russian and German and read widely on a multitude of subjects. He was also interested in art and music and was a gifted photographer. He was a dispatcher with the Delphi Police Department for several years and worked in the Circulation Department at the Purdue University Libraries for more than 25 years.
A student of local history, Charles was active in the Wabash & Erie Canal Association, the Carroll County Historical Society, and the Delphi Preservation Society. On many an afternoon, he would lead groups on historic walking tours in Delphi. He authored the publication Mystique of Deer Creek, and was co-author of The Carroll County Sesquicentennial Publication along with Michael G. Griffey.
An avid collector, Charles Gerard amassed a large collection of documents, prints, photographs and books which he donated to the Delphi Preservation Society before he succumbed in September 2005 to ALS. Funds donated by Mr. Gerard enabled the Society to acquire one-third of the building. The Gerard collection is now housed in the Gerard Archives room on the second floor of the Delphi Opera House.
In addition to the Gerard collection, the Archives Room houses the records of the Delphi Preservation Society, local history materials, poetry of James Whitcomb Riley, original wallpaper samples from the Delphi Opera House along with other artifacts, architectural drawings and contractor materials for the restoration of the opera house, paintings and drawings by local artists, and more.
The Gerard Archives Room is open by appointment. To schedule a visit, contact email@example.com.